Weed barrier – One time installation, years of satisfaction.
Gardens and farms are the manifestation of natural beauty. What badly harms this beauty are the unwanted, wild and infringe weeds. These weeds adversely affect the plant life. Additionally they make wild the looks of garden, if not controlled in time. Every gardener, farmer or grower wants to get rid of such weeds. Providentially, the solution is here in the form of weed barriers.
Weed barriers are available with different specifications and materials. They are often made up of propylene sheets, P.E plastic or woven, so there is plenty of space for water to go through its holes and reach the roots of plants. Thus the actual plants remain moist and in good physical state. The thickness of weed barrier is good enough for the blockage of ultra-violet rays. These weed barriers were previously designed for agricultural use and their life was confined to one season only but nowadays, their use in farms and home gardens is also very common. Particularly where fruits and vegetables are grown, the use of weed barrier is recommended instead of chemical spray. As the use of chemical spray may be health hazard.
The installation of weed barrier
Weed barrier is easily installed and easily cut off whenever necessary. Firstly, it is cut according to the size of garden and then it is put over the soil tightly. While setting it down on the ground surface, any weeds which are already there should be plucked up or cut off. Special staples are used in gardens to clip the barrier sheets with the soil. The outer surface or extra barrier outside the boundaries of rows or garden area, is then easily cut off and wasted.
How it works?
Its thick surface makes it difficult for weeds to puncture its layer and grow further. It also resist in growing new weeds and even the wild unnecessary grass. Despite of its dense layer, it allows water to dribble through. It can be reused for years and even when it is grown old, the barrier still holds the power to resist against the weeds and also act as insect barrier. Some of the weed barriers are in shape of long ramps. These are specifically for growing plants at large scale in rows. The major task of a weed barrier is to disconnect weeds from air and sunlight which are most important for their growth. It also does not let the weeds and wild grass to grow vertically and upsize. These barriers also decrease the damage of plants by birds and are often used for pigeon control as well.
A comparison of plastic and fabric weed barrier
This is a fact that most of the times fabric is preferred over plastic barrier. The reason being; it is has a thicker layer which blocks more sunlight and air to the weeds. It also keeps the soil more wet and moist as compared to the plastic weed barriers which let the sun light pass through and there is more evaporation of water. The plastic sheets are made up of mixed sort of materials. They have shorter life than the fabric barriers.
A few drawbacks of the use of weed barrier
Apart from a number of positive points and advantages of using weed barrier, there are a few negative points or drawbacks as well. First of all they seem really unattractive. Their bad looks cannot be hidden even if it is tried through stones or soil coverings. Secondly many beneficial plants that grow alongside the actual plant are also killed with the weeds. Thirdly it is an artificial tool and disturbs the biological and natural growth of the plants. Fourthly the most common drawback is that, some of the weeds still find their way to grow through the holes of these barriers. It is commonly seen in the plastic sheets weed barriers. Gardeners are seen plucking up such weeds, like they might be doing if this weed barrier was not installed. It is also seen that some of the plants and trees are knotted in these weed barriers and their growth is stopped therein. This also happens if soil is hardened on the surface of these barriers and just turns solid like cement.
Major benefits of applying weed barrier are:
- Resist weeds to grow from its lower surface and allows water to pass through the upper layer.
- It resists the ultra violet rays and negative impact of solar radiations.
- The thick layer is difficult to be punctured by weeds to get passed through it.
- Prevents wild grass growth.
- Increases the health and long life of plants.
- Weed barriers are long lasting, some of these have even longer life than ten years.
- Effective for soil steadiness and stabilization.
- Increases the fertility of plants and crops.
- These barriers are mostly made up of environment friendly substance.
- Allows growth of plants in various patterns and symmetry.
- It is chemical free, as when chemical is sprayed on plants, it also kills some of the insects and bacteria which are important for plants habitation. Hence, in case of weed barrier the toxic properties of anti-pests chemicals never affect the plants and their fruits.
- It decreases evaporation which keeps the soil moist, and safe it from dryness which infertile the plants.
- Let the water pass through its holes to reach the plants. Thus the plants are grown and weeds are impaired simultaneously.
- Acts as insect barrier and prevents bugs and other insects to damage the plants.
It is also used to minimize damages caused by birds and for the purpose of pigeon control, particularly where grains or some sort of seeds are grown.